When protocol makes no sense at all.


There are some instances where by protocol is just a waste of time. And the main problem is that the people in charge don’t observe it and yet they want us to do so. Maybe because some of those people in charge have guns and so they feel they have the leverage to make us do what they want.

I was at MUK and the decided to pass by the bazaar at Mitchell hall. There was a check point however women’s bags were not being checked via the walk-through detectors and neither was the hand-held detector passed across men’s pockets.

Askari Passing the wand across the mans clothes yet its 'dead'
In that manner, I saw no need of me placing my bag on the table before I could walk through the detector. When I was through, the askari asked me to go out through the exit, and repeat the process while leaving the bag at the table and me walking through holding nothing, then I pick my unchecked bag and head to the bazaar.

At first I thought that perhaps I was the only one whom he had made to go through that. But I noticed a lady go out through the entrance and he called her back, showing her where to pass. She had to go back in and then leave through the exit. He did the same for a guy who had walked in with his phone in the hands.
The walk-through was not making any noise, so it was totally dead, I assume, and the hand-held security wand as well. Because normally, even if it’s just a metal on your garments, they are too sensitive that they let off some noise. So the thing is, first and foremost, security rules are being breached just by creating the illusion that people are safe and yet the detectors are not functioning.

And then that askari at the checkpoint forcing people to do things is being paid for nothing. There is no assurance of security in that place at all. Unless the askaris are sure they can detect danger through people’s facial expressions which is unlikely.

Even through all the gates of MUK, security has loosened up! I no longer see cars being checked and whenever I pass through them, the askaris are usually having chit-chats, very happy for God knows about what.

So, I beg-oh, like the Nigerians say, why not cut that crap! If you are not going to tighten the security, then don’t give people the illusion of safety and inconveniences of passing through those check points as some are too tall and have to first bend while others are fat and have to pass with their body sideways.  

There are so many other places that do this. When the alshabab attacked us in 2010, installing those check points became a craze and now, it seems stylish to still use them even if they do not function.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to position yourself for a better job

Too much self confidence is bad

How to break deals and achieve value for money