Complimenting someone in Pain.


You are in pain and someone says you are beautiful. It’s the last thing you wanna hear, even if you are the kind of person that needs regular assurance to maintain your self-esteem. You would be mad at them for that insensitivity.

I was in F.6 when results of the previous year’s candidates came it. I got a call from a guy I used to think was my boyfriend asking me to help him find out what how many points he had got. I told him. He had scored 4 points!!

The guy started lamenting as if he didn't know that was what un serious people got. I told him that at least he had performed better than some of his friends who had scored 3 and 2. That consoled, but for a second. He asked me to tell him something nice, something that would lighten his mood.

I scratched my head for a line. I remembered one from a letter a friend from my previous school had received. She was my roommate. We had some code that if anyone got a letter from a guy she didn't like, we would read it with all the other room members present. So the line went, 'hey, for as long as you live, your pain is my pain and so is your Joy. But let my love for u get through all this. Focus just my love.’

The dude hung up. I wondered what For God's sake he wanted me to say. I later realized, the last thing he needed to hear in his melancholy was my love crap. As a matter of fact, I was chucked the next month; through a letter, written in pencil.

                                ************

I was rolling on my bed trying to disguise the pain in my abdomen. It was during that time of the month. I logged onto Facebook chat with my phone to keep myself busy. Then there a message came in. 'Groli, you are beautiful really. Can I have your number priz'. I was so angry at the dude, the way he had spelled my name. His english got to my nerves. Even more nerve wrecking was my imagination of what his accent was like. That in his mind he sounded like, ' Guroli, yowa burifuru rille. Kani yayi avu yowa namba'

I glowered so hard, wished he could see it. I noticed he had previously sent me his number that I could call any time. I pressed the number with my thumb, it appeared on my dial pad. I thought I would give the dude a piece of my mind. And then I figured, dialing his number would only grant him his request of having mine. I aborted the plan. You know some guys are weird u even abuse them but they never get the point. Somehow they get attracted to you more. Wish I knew what scientists call this.

#Compliments don’t work at all times. You need to first figure out the persons mood. 

Comments

  1. just read ur profile in monitor....your blog is amazing...love the humour...'thought he was ur boyfriend'...when a gal is way out of league, u don't give up, every no she gives u is serious progress, ur smart u didn't call coz that would have been like a date to the dude. Besides u have nothing to loose, shez way out of ur league and someday with some bit of luck she might need ur help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mugada, thanks for checking out my blog. Am humbled by the compliment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to position yourself for a better job

Too much self confidence is bad

How to break deals and achieve value for money