One source of accents you have never guessed


We all know Ugandans donot have to first travel to oversea countries inorder to adopt a Foreign accent. (Most cases this accent is allegedly American.)
Some of the common ways we know are; crossing a border to other East African countries like Sudan, joining the entertainment industry especially becoming an upcoming artist, touring the airport, taking a picture next to the aeroplane, having a relative or facebook friend living abroad etc.
But there's one other path that is rarely considered. TRAUMA!
Forexample when you have just encountered a dramatic experience like an intense car accident, sliding and banging your head harshy against the bathtub or bathroom wall or even a severe heartbreak!
In event of these, trauma sets in. But then in some instances, you are needed to give a statement.
First of all, this will kind of feel like a movie scene. Because you are still in shock, having people surrounding you with worry and attention makes you feel even more vulnerable, and yet special. Best moment in life
Now my friend, Quinn, admitted that her usual accent made her feel like nothing had happened. Her voice had never sounded emotional nomatter how intense her situation was. Yet, though without a scratch, she was really terrified as she had never been involved in such a terrible accident. The coaster we were travelling in had rammed into a corona car, and the two passengers in the car had been terribly bruised and had to be rushed to hospital. Much as the coaster sustained some serious damage at the front, no one was physically hurt.
So, she decided to polish the accent and while she talked, all people felt her shock considering that tears flew effortlessly and complimented her new accent. An impeccable scene! In my heart, I was sure Quinns tears were probably due to a reflection on a sad childhood moment because, that momentary Quinn , I had never known.
This was how the questioning for the statement went.
Police officer. 'Kani you prease ter'as wot apen?
Quinn. 'I lonno, releeey... I... ajus apened ma'ryes an' fand masef hì. '
Officer: 'oke, befowa all this appen, donti you are rememba enesing you are do or hiya?
Quinn: 'aryt, aki mebi a'recall sum'ing aba sum'an callin ou' for d' chauffeur ta lower 'is spêd.'
Officer: 'so for yowaselef, the speed was finis you vele well?' (Speed yabade ekumala buringi?)
Quinn: ' OMG, Ah Mi Ga ... acan'tek 'is nomo. Sum'bud please ge mi outta hì.'
Hearing Quinn talk like that put me in double shock. First of all, I felt like she had stopped being my friend.
Then I was so confused that when the officer came to me to get my statement, I knew I couldn't talk like Quinn(I had tried whispering to myself in a foreign accent, in vain) so maybe they would take my side of the story less serious.
I told the officer, 'I plead the 5th', without being sure whether it applied in these circumstances or not. But then he said he wasn't 'understand wot appen on de 5th' claiming he was in the village visiting his wife whom he had taken a while without seeing and she was planning to divorce him. He said I shouldn't remind him of 5th.
I agreed.
Finally I had to plead that I didn't know anything and that I wasn't even aware of any accident.
He left.
I kept around to see if Quinn was still my friend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to position yourself for a better job

Too much self confidence is bad

How to break deals and achieve value for money