Only 'money' will tell.


You know when you are 'about' comfortable in life, you are content with what you have or can afford. Eating rice and beans every day for lunch and supper, holding one bag for three years and letting it go only when the damage is obvious to the naked eye, no new attire in your closet or a pair of new shoes (i have just taken my crafts for repair), keeping your hair for a month, sparing your deodorant and cologne on the days you won’t be leaving home, among others. And yet be content, somehow.

Yes am somehow contented with my life that way, it’s the best I can momentarily afford. But, at times I ask myself, is it anything close to contentment or is it involuntarily living within my means? Only 'money' can explain that. I have a friend who borrows money in order to buy classy clothes or plait hair associated to certain celebs and that is something i have never quite understood.   

When it comes to labels, I wonder, would I be fascinated with labels if I had the money? Honestly, I don’t feel any of my nerves tweaking when someone brags about how her bag has the Prada label. She even wipes the label using her finger as if that would make it clearer for me to understand. Then the excitement that follows her bragging; it's all a maze to me. I just dont gerrit.

Another friend had to lure us to a restaurant rest room, so she could put off her blouse and show us the label. I had never heard of it and neither can I remember the name of the designer. I couldn't get the whole fuss. The reaction of the other girls was somewhat far-fetched. 'Wow! How much? Where? When? How? Why? With who?' And all the other 'W' questions you could think of. Or were they just being girls, acting interested as if it mattered at all.

Truth is I can’t afford those labels at the moment. And I think i don’t really care about them. I care about the price, quality and design combined. If they meet my standards and preferences, then I have something I will adore.

If a cologne has a nice scent and I can afford it, that I will buy. In my S.1 a certain girl told the whole dormitory about how she had to save 80k to buy a classy perfume. I couldn't imagine how possible that was. it was too much money for me to even think about. Half of 80k wasn't even my total pocket money for a term. I knew she was lying! That holiday, i made sure to ask my mum how possibly true my friend was. Mum said that was a total lie. And I agreed with her. It was only later that I figured she only said that so that I wouldn’t ask for more pocket money.

Never the less, am destined to be rich. And then will I understand or still fail to understand people's fascination with labels. I will be able to afford clothes, bags and shoes of any label. I will want to know if I can spend 1m on a pair of flat shoes, 2m on a Prada bag, 600k on Gucci jeans and such sick amounts on rather small things. I will also find out if i can actually plait some Keri Hilson hairstyle even if the shape of my head was naturally excluded from such stuff.

Only 'money' will tell.

Comments

  1. You're destined to be rich. But why you spend a whole 7k on a less than half a litre of juice in a restaurant, I totally don't gerrit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sha....that I cant. ok mpozi on icecream. Ka juice awo i just make it from home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to position yourself for a better job

Too much self confidence is bad

How to break deals and achieve value for money