One thing I will do when I’m MP.

Don’t be excited already or even frustrated that I am going to contest for an MP seat. When I mentioned it jokingly to one of my friends, he opined that; One, I will have higher chances if I’m about 18years of age and nothing above that. Two,  I needed to be with a talkative disposition. He said parliament was not for soft spoken and quite reserved people like me. I could not agree less. The problem is that most Ugandan’s would prefer someone who is always in some sort of chaos; one that would excite the people in Nakasera or Nakivuubo.

Well they’ve got it all wrong. I may not be talkative but I THINK! Yeah everyone thinks, but I specifically think solutions. If I were an MP, and by the way this isn’t a manifesto, one thing I could assure you guys is proper quality roads in 12 areas of the city in one year. All roads in the area.  I don’t promise anything more than that. These roads would help improve the health of the people in many ways but I will stick to two.
These dusty roads are the reason some people always have flu. I have personally experienced it. For example this Mbalwa road that leads to my home. The dust is always on competition with the scorching sun. If we had a weighing scale for those, it would weigh a lot more than the heat.

Second, accidents.  Each and every time I get onto the bodabodas I have to say a prayer. It’s the only reason am still alive. I can’t count how many mishaps I have had on bodabodas on that road.  And when it rains, we are exploited. You cannot get home unless you pay an extra 1000sh or 500sh on a good day lest you walk home.

The irony is that many people in this area are willing to collect money needed to edit the roads but I don’t understand why government won’t let it happen. I asked one of the bodaboda guys what he thought about that irony. As a matter of factly, it is strategic to jazz with those guys as you travel, at the end of the journey they forget that they were supposed to over charge you. And when you give them unchanged money, make sure you keep the jazz going so that he will feel guilty to deduct more than they should.

He replied that the construction needed to be planned for in the budget. But then why do we pay taxes yet we cannot see what they’re amounting to in our own areas? Now here is the plan. I would write a proposal to whoever approves of them about how I would put up these roads but then I don’t know how to write one. Never the less, the main point is that each month, the revenue authority puts aside the money collected from taxes of peoples salaries in a specific area and be allocated to the construction of roads in that same area. That would necessitate a system that would identify which people live in the area so that the money can easily be deducted. I leave that to the Information Technicians.

In cases where the amount allocated may not be enough, then people can be organized to contribute more money to ensure that the project works out, after all in the first place they are usually complaining about and willing to contribute to that cause but shunned by government protocol. If more money is still needed, the unemployed people like me (nanti am not yet MP) and those who are not taxed like housemaids and shamba boys, as well as idlers can be charged about 1350sh so that we also feel we contributed to the roads.

With the money what would be the problem? I’m also willing to add about 20,000shs considering that’s the amount of money I spend on toff plus in two months to cure the constant flue and colds due to the dust. And oh, not forgetting the money I spend in the salon every week since my hair turns orange due to the dust. So, just in case I contested for parliament, you should vote me for I can think. Even if it’s just One Thought, One Vision, all I need is one year and the result will be 12 high class roads. Now I need you people to encourage me to contest for MP of Roads or is Minister of roads? Whatever!  Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to position yourself for a better job

Too much self confidence is bad

How to break deals and achieve value for money